How do you become eligible for LTC benefits under your policy?
To become eligible for benefits under a LTC policy, most policies require medical documentation that you are unable to perform or need substantial assistance with at least 2 out of the below 6 activities of daily living (ADL’s). Or, if you have cognitive impairment, that will override the need for assistance with at least 2 ADL’s.
- Bathing. The ability to clean oneself and perform grooming activities like shaving and brushing teeth.
- Dressing. The ability to get dressed by oneself without struggling with buttons and zippers.
- Eating. The ability to feed oneself.
- Transferring. Being able to either walk or move oneself from a bed to a wheelchair and back again.
- Toileting. The ability to get on and off the toilet.
- Continence. The ability to control one's bladder and bowel functions.